This month we will introduce the new NDIS Quality and safeguards Commission, an important new service available to anyone involved with the NDIS.The commission is separate to and independent from the NDIS. It started in Victoria on July 1st 2019 and is in all states and territories other than West Australia.
The Commission aims to:
- Respond to concerns, complaints and reportable incidents, including abuse and neglect of NDIS participants
- Promote the NDIS principles of choice and control, and work to empower participants to exercise their rights to access quality services as informed, protected consumers
- Require NDIS providers to uphold participants’ rights to be free from harm
- Register and regulate NDIS providers and oversee the new NDIS Code of Conduct and NDIS Practice Standards
- Provide guidance and best practice information to NDIS providers on how to comply with their registration responsibilities
- Monitor compliance against the NDIS Code of Conduct and NDIS Practice Standards, including undertaking investigations and taking enforcement action
- Monitor the use of restrictive practices within the NDIS with the aim of reducing and eliminating such practices
- Work in collaboration with states and territories to design and implement nationally consistent NDIS worker screening
- Focus on education, capacity building and development for people with disability, NDIS providers and workers
- Facilitate information sharing with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), state and territory authorities and other Commonwealth regulatory bodies.
How will the commission affect you?
The complaints process will change.
The way behaviour supports and restrictive practices are managed will change.
NDIS service providers?
Registration, complaints, incident management and reportable incidents, behaviour support and worker screening will all change. They will become consistent across Australia, and the commission will work to make services better quality.
The will be a new national screening check for workers, and a new code of conduct and process to manage complaints.
To find out more, go to: www.ndiscommission.gov.au
You can also call on: 1800 03 55 44
Remember, your friendly support coordination team of Susan, Jess, Adrian, Jo and Tyson are always available to answer your questions. Please email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org